Studies show over and over again that exercise helps us in a variety of ways. Here are some ways you might not have thought about that exercise can improve your health:
- Exercise helps increase aerobic capacity, function, and muscle strength, and decrease pain in those with arthritis.
- For people who have had a heart attack, exercise reduces mortality by 31 percent.
- Exercise also lowers blood pressure, and improves cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Those suffering from type 2 diabetes have better A1c levels if they exercise.
- Exercise improves quality of life in those with Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis.
- Depression and mood can be improved by exercise, which can be especially important during winter months.
- Exercise may reduce inflammation in the joints.
To make the most of these benefits, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends adults get 150 minutes of moderate activity every week, or about 30 minutes every work day. If you’re not sure where to start, L A R Physical Therapy can provide you with a training plan specific to your needs, or you can try joining Leigh’s Monday night Pilates class.
Call 410.381.1574 to schedule a Healthy Body Check-up and learn an exercise program that’s right for you!