Backpacks may be a necessary evil, but follow these tips to help reduce the strain of heavy backpacks:
- Place heavy books and binders closest to your back.
- Use both straps on your backpack and look for wide, padded straps.
- Use a waist strap to distribute the weight on your hips too.
- Make sure your backpack fits–backpacks shouldn’t fall more than 4 inches below your waist.
- Clean out your backpack (and notebooks) frequently to ensure you aren’t carrying unnecessary weight.
Following these tips will help limit the strain on your back. Parents, you should also think about these tips in terms of your purse or briefcase too!
If you have any questions or need help getting over back pain, call L A R Physical Therapy at 410.381.1574 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.